At Marsha Style we love a good hack of our patterns. The talented designer of the Grace Dress, @abby_sews, created a square neck hack of the design that we had to share with you all. It was so adorable that we decided to add the additional pattern pieces to the Grace PDF Pattern and provide detailed sewing instructions below. If you previously purchased the Grace PDF Pattern you will receive an email with a code to access the updated pattern. If you have not received your updated code please contact me here. The additional pieces are in a separate A4/US Letter file so there is no need to reprint your patterns. If you are yet to purchase the Grace PDF Pattern we are offering 20% off the pattern for 1 week only using the code GRACESQUARE at checkout. Discount is available on the Marsha Style website, Marsha Style Etsy Store, Brooklyn Motif and The Fold Line. Promotion ends 12.00pm midnight 13th March 2022, Australian EST but the Grace Square Neck Hack is available forever.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
The updated Grace PDF Pattern that includes the additional pattern pieces.
Size 2 to 16: 2.3mts of fabric – yield based on that is 1.4mts wide
Size 18 to 22: 2.7mts of fabric – yield based on that is 1.4mts wide
Size 24 to 30: 3.1mts of fabric – yield based on that is 1.4mts wide
- Cut 2 x front bodice pieces on the fold
- Cut 2 x back bodice pieces on the fold
- Cut 2 x straps (see strap length guide below)
- Cut 2 x skirt (View A skirt pattern piece with skirt template attached to top edge)
- Cut 2 x patch pocket:(W) 24cm x (H) 28cm OR (W) 9 1/2″ x (H) 11″
- With right sides together, fold straps in half length wise and stitch using a 1.2cm (1/2″) SA.
- Turn straps right side out and press ensure to roll out seam to the edge.
3. Grab 1 x front & back bodice pieces. With right sides together join straps to the bodice 1cm away from the armhole.
4. With right sides together join both sets of front & back bodice pieces at the side seam.
5. Turn the bodice without the straps joined wrong side out and slip over the top of the other bodice. Tuck straps down and pin neck edge and armhole. Sew together using a 1.2cm (1/2″) SA. Trim seam back to 6mm (1/4″).
6. Edge stitch around the neck edge and armhole pushing the seam to the left. You won’t be able to get into all the corners and will have to do this is 4 stages. Press bodice. The side of the bodice that has the edge stitching will become the inside of the garment.
7. With right sides together, sew side seams of the skirt together using a 1.2cm (1/2″) SA. Finish seams using your preferred method. OR you can sew side seams together using the French Seam method in the Grace PDF Pattern.
8. Change your stitch length to 5mm and add 2 rows of gather stitch to the top of the skirt. Change your stitch length back to 2.5mm.
9. With right sides together pin the skirt to the bodice at the side seams. Pull gathers until the skirt fits the bodice. Stitch skirt to bodice using a 1.2cm (1/2″) SA. Iron seam up into the bodice.
10. Put the dress over the ironing board with the wrong side facing up. Fold, press and pin bodice lining to cover the skirt seam line preparing to ditch stitch the lining to the dress.
11. Turn dress right side out and transfer pins to the right side of the garment ensuring you have caught the lining on the underside of the garment. Ditch stitch lining in place. If ditch stitching is not your thing you can hand slip stitch the lining in place.
12. Fold the top of the pocket 2.5cm (1″) down to the right side. Stitch down on sides using a 1cm (3/8″) SA.
13. Turn top of pocket right side out and iron the remaining raw edges in 1cm (3/8″).
14. Decide on pocket position on your dress, pin and edge stitch in place.
15. Check the length of your dress and hem using a 3.5cm (1 3/8″) double turn hem. Give your dress one final press.
Congratulations! Your square neck Grace Dress is now complete. We would love to see your makes. Feel free to tag us on Instagram using #mssquaregrace and tag @marsha.style and @abby_sews.
DISCLAIMER: WE HAVE NOT TESTED ALL SIZES IN THE SQUARE NECK GRACE DRESS HACK. PLS TOILE YOUR SIZE TO ENSURE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE FIT BEFORE CUTTING IN YOUR FINAL FABRICATION. WE WOULD LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK ON THESE PATTERN PIECES. THE ORIGINAL GRACE DRESS HAS BEEN TESTED IN ALL SIZES.