The Fabulous Intrepid Boilersuit by Alice & Co Patterns

Intrepid Boilersuit
Intrepid Boilersuit

Every garment I make I pretty much full in love with these days but this one is extra special. The Seaweed color Lara Linen from Potter & Co is next level beautiful. It was the perfect washed back blue hue that I had been dreaming of.

Intrepid Boilersuit
Intrepid Boilersuit

I had been eyeing off the Intrepid Boilersuit by Alice & Co Patterns for sometime and it was a done deal for me once I spotted Gyasti version of it on good old Instagram. It was the soft neutral tone of her suit that inspired me.

Intrepid Boilersuit
Intrepid Boilersuit

My measurements were close to the size 6 and this is what I proceeded with for my toile. I made my toile in the brightest Purple plain weave linen from The Fabric Store. I also made my toile with a button front tab and elastic casing through the back and side front.

On review of my toile I made the following adjustments.

The thigh and seat area felt a little tight in comparison to the rest of the suit. I decided to add 1cm to each side seam through the hip along with 1cm through the inleg but only at crotch point for about 12cm down the leg. I also remove some of the hook from the back rise shaping as it felt like it was going up my butt a little. Below are images of the pattern alterations I made.

Back Rise
Back Rise
Front pant adjustment.
Front pant adjustment

I also felt it was pulling up at the back waist so I add 1cm into the back rise. Again pictures below of this adjustment.

Back rise adjustment
Back rise adjustment

I decided not to add the waist casing and instead 7 belt loops and a self fabric belt.

Belt loops and self fabric tie
Belt loops and self fabric tie

The hardest decision for me was the front closure. I thought I wanted a concealed button front but after further consideration I opted for a lap front zipper opening. This decision was based on ease of wear. It so much easier to unzip a onesie than unbutton a million buttons when needing to use the loo!

I also knew I didn’t want the zipper to be a feature as an exposed metal zipper so I used a dress zipper and the lapped zipper technique. And I am so happy with the outcome.

Front pockets are a little to high
Front pockets are a little to high

I think I was so caught up in the front closure and pant adjustment that I overlooked the front chest pocket positions. I think they are a little to high and not quite positioned right. Next time I will take greater care to review all features.

Back view
Back view

I love the way I can style my Boilersuit with sneakers for a daytime look and heels for an evening look. I am genuinely really happy with this make and I will be using this beautiful washed linen from Potter & Co on another project in the not to distant future.

Published by

Leave a Reply